- To designate fishers, farmers, processors and distribution workers as essential.
- To establish exceptions to travel restrictions for temporary migrant workers and the enterprises that support the sector.
- To explore the possibility of banking fishing quotas from one year to the next. To make up for lower catches in a given year, quotas could be exchanged from one year to another. The exact quota that can be “banked” should be defined based on sound scientific advice.
- To increase transparency with a system that gives auctions and buyers a picture of the catch in terms of its volume and species in advance of its landing in a port.
- To optimise the cash flow of transfers of support measures so to account for natural variations in production cycles due to, for example, seasonality.
- To introduce a storage mechanisms when exceptional shocks hit the sector.
- To implement promotional campaigns to support local fisheries and aquaculture products.
- To strengthen databases and market intelligence
[Publication] Workshop on the European Green Deal − Challenges and opportunities for EU fisheries and aquaculture: Part I: Decarbonisation & circular economy aspects for fisheries
Publication: September 2023 Short link to this post: https://bit.ly/3PJ8GL7 Download: English Authors: AZTI: Oihane C. BASURKO, Martin ARANDA, Ainhoa CABALLERO, Marga ANDRES, Jefferson MURUA, Gorka GABIÑA EXECUTIVE SUMMARY Background The European Green Deal (EGD) aims Read more…