The presentation of the study, organised by the Policy Department for Structural and Cohesion Policies, was held at the CULT Committee meeting on 27 April 2023.
The presentation focused on the following topics:
- threats to cultural heritage which is often targeted and may even be at the centre of armed conflicts;
- the dynamics of threats to cultural heritage in Ukraine;
- recommendations on how to strengthen the protection of cultural heritage from the effects of armed conflicts, now and in the future.
The presentation was followed by questions from the Members and a stimulating debate regarding, among others:
- the need for better preventing the looting of cultural heritage in armed conflict situations, where cultural heritage can be both a collateral and an intentional target;
- the implementation of existing EU legislation against illicit trafficking;
- the role of legislators, including in the EU, in closing the accountability cap, both through legislation and better implementation.