This workshop, organised by the Policy Department for Structural and Cohesion Policies, was held at the CULT Committee meeting on 1 March 2023 with a participation of three experts.
- Prof. Brian O’NEILL presented the study on “The influence of social media on the development of children and young people”, commissioned by the Policy Department.
- Ms Rosanna DI GIOIA, researcher in the Joint Research Centre (JRC), presented the findings of the JRC research on Children’s digital practices in home and school contexts.
- Dr. Claudia LAMPERT, project coordinator at the Leibniz Institute for Media Research, Hans-Bredow-Institut, presented the project Children Online: Research and Evidence (CO:RE).
The presentations were followed by questions from the Members and a stimulating debate, concentrating, among others, on:
- the influence of social media on children’s ability to concentrate in a non-digital setting;
- online parental control;
- new technological developments, such as the metaverse;
- the risks of social media and the impact of cyber-bullying, hate speech and sexual abuse;
- future EU strategies and legislation to prevent and fight these phenomena;
- teaching practices, toolkits and guidelines adapted to these technological developments.
Presentation Prof. dr. Brian O’NEILL
Presentation Ms Rosanna DI GIOIA
Presentation Dr. Claudia LAMPERT